While we understand the impact the COVID-19 virus is having on all our lives and sailing programmes, the IFA Executive is constantly monitoring the situation and trying to work within the extreme constraints that have fallen on us all. This page will be updated with the latest changes and news as they happen. See SUMMARY at bottom of page
We have the following updates for you:
• The 2020 Olympic Games has been postponed until 2021. As yet we do not have dates. See: https://www.olympic.org/news/joint-statement-from-the-international-olympic-committee-and-the-tokyo-2020-organising-committee
• The 2020 Finn Gold Cup, which was scheduled from 8-16 May, has been postponed. IFA is working closely with CNA in Mallorca to try to reschedule for early-mid October. Of course this is by no means certain to happen, and is completely dependent on the global situation at that point. A call will probably have to be made in July/August whether this is viable.
• Regarding the final continental qualifier, the latest news from World Sailing stated:
“In the short term, World Sailing will not hold Olympic qualification events for Africa, Asia or Europe. World Sailing is working with the IOC on an update to the qualification system where our recommendation will be to look at hosting qualifications events in late 2020 or early 2021.”
As soon as this is clarified, we will let you know.
• The 2020 European Championship in Gdynia from 3-11 July is under close review. A discussion was had with the organisers on Tuesday 24 March and the website has been updated (2020.finneuropeans.org). The situation will be reviewed again after Easter and if July is still looking uncertain, the event may combined with the Masters Europeans, which is scheduled to take place from 2-5 September.
• The new dates for Kiel Week for the Finn are provisionally 9-13 September.
• The Executive is looking at venues for the 2021 Europeans and Finn Gold Cup and has several venues interested. Most likely both events will be scheduled early enough before equipment is shipped to Tokyo. Other bids for these events are welcomed and will be accepted up to early May.
• It is intended to run the 2020 IFA AGM in two parts. There will be an online AGM around second week in May to cover the legal necessities such as general decisions, voting and approval of accounts. The Agenda for that will be published soon. A further EGM may be held at one of the events in the autumn to cover all other business and discussions.
• With the delay to the 2020 Olympics and the ‘continuation’ of the Finn as an Olympic class for at least one more year there are clearly a lot of questions that need answering and a lot of issues that need to be resolved. As yet we do not have the answers, but will let you know when we do.
SUMMARY OF EVENTS
|Olympics Games||28 July to 4 August||Postponed||Until 2021|
|Finn Gold Cup||8-16 May||Postponed||Rescheduled to October|
|Europeans||3-11 July||No change yet||Will be reviewed after Easter - latest update here - https://2020.finneuropeans.org/?p=31|
|Finn World Masters||31 May to 5 June||CANCELLED||More here.|
|Finn European Masters||28 August to 4 September||No change yet|
|Princesa Sofia Palma||27 March to 4 April||CANCELLED|
|Genoa SWC||13-19 May||CANCELLED|
|Hyeres SOF||18-25 April||Postponed||Hoping to reschedule|
|Medemblik Regatta||19-23 May||CANCELLED|